Website City of Sandusky
To manage the city administration in accordance with the City Charter, the policies set forth by the City Commission, and the laws and ordinances of the city, state and federal government.
• To see that the laws and ordinances of the city, state and federal governments are enforced within the city and on city owned property outside the city limits.
• Appoint and remove all city employees.
• Approve all operating expenditures of city funds and make recommendations to the City Commission for capital projects and/or equipment over the amount set by the City Charter.
• Prepare annual budget in cooperation with the Finance Director and department heads and submit to the City Commission for approval.
• To exercise control over all departments and divisions of the city.
• Maintains awareness and remains current with the latest issues and developments within the field of economic and community development, Community Development Block Grant, Revolving Loan Fund and CDBG Economic Development Grant projects.
• Manages through subordinates the city departments and the City’s economic development, redevelopment and grant programs.
• Coordinate city staff to formulate policies, procedures, contracts, franchises and agreements that benefit and enhance the city.
• See that all terms and conditions of franchises, contracts and agreements in favor of the city are faithfully kept and performed.
• Evaluate and determine staff’s material and training needs to carry out the tasks necessary to provide optimum governmental services in the most efficient and professional manner possible.
• To attend all City Commission meetings and keep the Commission apprised of all projects, development and matters of interest that relate to the city.
• Make recommendations to the City Commission for adoption of such measures as are necessary for the operation and enhancement of the city.
• To represent the city at various meetings or gatherings and to serve on those boards, committees and commissions as the City Commission deems appropriate for the good of the city.
• Coordinate the Commission and the staff in setting and obtaining the goals of the city.
• Ability to understand and communicate written instructions.
• Ability to work in cooperation and in a team building atmosphere with other officers with direct reporting accountability to the City Commission.
• Ability to coordinate and work in a close relationship with all city departments in all matters of City government.
• Related and other duties as required.
• Responsible to self-initiate activities consistent with the City of Sandusky’s and department’s goals and objectives.
• Must report for work at required time and date and maintain a responsible attendance record.
• The ability to tolerate certain levels of stress, and attend work on a punctual, regular basis.
• The avoidance of violent behavior that threatens the safety of other employees.
Education, Experience & Requirements for this Position
• A Bachelor’s Degree in business, local government management or a related field is required.
• A Master’s Degree in business, government or an equivalent professional degree preferred or an equivalent level of education and experience in the management field that would equate to a Master’s Degree.
• Four years of progressive management experience required with management in public administration preferred.
• Valid Ohio Operator’s License.
• Must be a resident of the City of Sandusky or become a resident within a reasonable period of time as determined by the City Commission after becoming the City Manager.
• A citizen of the United States.
• Use logic and reason to make sound timely decisions often under stressful conditions.
• Must have good reading capability to assimilate and comprehend large volumes of information in written, mathematical and diagram form.
• Understand the effect politics and economic trends have on city’s plans.
• Must possess knowledge of Economic Development
• Communicate courteously and effectively with all types of people from hostile citizens to civic leaders, employees, legislators from local, state and federal levels, and the public in general.
• Communicate courteously and effectively with the news media.
• Must be a strong communicator.
• Speak and write clearly and with authority.
• Be able to speak impromptu or with a prepared speech to large and small groups of any type.
• Dress and conduct public and private life in a manner that does not discredit the city.
• Primarily office work that requires occasional exertion up to 10 pounds. Also requires walking and standing at various functions or on tours over finished and unfinished terrain.
• 75 percent or more is inside office type work.
Submitting an Application
A completed application and resume should be submitted to the City of Sandusky, Department of Administrative Services, Attn: Connie S. Nicholson at email@example.com or 240 Columbus Avenue, Sandusky, OH 44870. For more information visit www.cityofsandusky.com.
Application Deadline: The initial review of applications will be December 31, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply for this job please visit icma.org.