Website City of Norton
A Growing Community
THE CITY OF NORTON
The City of Norton, Ohio is seeking a highly qualified and demonstrated local government leader to fill the role of Full-Time Administrative Officer. The job description and qualifications are listed below. Interested candidates may email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration.
Appointed by the Mayor and working under the overall direction of the Mayor, the Administrative Officer is responsible for strategically positioning, organizing, directing, supervising and accepting accountability for the Police, Fire and Service divisions. The Administrative Officer is the executive official in charge of the departments and implements all legislation adopted by City Council. The Administrative Officer serves as the operational head of the City by planning, directing and coordinating city government services in accordance with the policies determined by the Mayor. The Administrative Officer defines, plans and implements programming for the departments by developing appropriate policies and procedures to guide supervisors and department heads in carrying out duties. The Administrative Officer is responsible for maintaining fiscal integrity in all departments and further responsible for ensuring Norton the highest public service values are reflected in the conduct of its personnel.
QUALIFICATIONS: An example of acceptable qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree in public administration, managerial studies, or a related field and five (5) or more years of progressively responsible experience are preferred; or completion of secondary education, and five (5) years of progressively responsible executive experience in a comparable position; or any combination of training, education, or experience which provides the desired knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Valid State of Ohio Driver’s License; the ability to maintain insurability under the City’s vehicle insurance policy. National Incident Management Training Certification (can be obtained after hiring).
POSITIONS DIRECTLY SUPERVISED:
Chief of Police
Human Resource Specialist
Service Department Manger
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
1. Supervises assigned staff (e.g., recommends and develops policy, interviews applicants, recommends hiring, discipline, and firing; leads, motivates, collaborates, empowers, rewards, coaches, and praises; oversees training and instruction of employees; assigns and directs work; appraises and evaluates performance; addresses complaints and resolves problems).
2. Plans, develops, and directs day-to-day operations of the Public Safety Departments, e.g. Police, Fire and Service; determines long-range goals and oversees strategic planning for and development and delivery of series to citizens and customers (e.g., plans and implements short-term or annual goals, objectives, and strategies for the departments, project, or program to ensure efficient organization and completion of work; develops strategic plans; reviews and develops new methods and procedures, conducts feasibility studies for new and existing practices, promotes existing practices; recommends and participates in meetings for improvement to ensure efficient use of City resources; etc.).
3. Oversees enforcement of all police, fire, safety, health, sanitary and building regulations that may be prescribed by ordinances or rules of the City, or when applicable, the general laws of Ohio; etc.; responsible for initiating and coordinating efforts to prevent crime and delinquency.
4. Serves as member of senior management team providing Mayor with input on policy issues affecting the department; attends meetings of City Council and other such committees, boards and commissions as deemed necessary by Mayor.
5. Serves as liaison for the department; meets with community groups and other interested parties for purpose of promoting City programs and division objectives, policies; seeks to resolve problems and exchange information with residents, officials, vendors; etc.
6. Performs other duties consistent with the office as may be required by Charter, by Ordinance of Council, or as directed by Mayor.
7. Maintains required licensures and certification.
8. Meets all job safety requirements.
9. Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES AS ASSIGNED
COMPETITIVE SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
THE CITY OF NORTON IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com