Website Geneva On The Lake
Ohio's First Summer Resort
Village of Geneva-on-the-Lake Fiscal Officer
The duties of the Fiscal Officer of the Village of Geneva-on-the-Lake are those as defined in the Ohio Revised Code 733.262, 733.27, & 733.44, local code, and all other duties as assigned.
The Fiscal Officer will work at the pleasure of the Village Mayor and Council being bound by the rules and regulations set in the Ohio Revised Code, and local Village Codified.
• Work independently to manage the Village’s financial functions and to be solely responsible for creating and keeping the records and meeting all reporting deadlines of the Village in accordance with federal, state and local laws.
• Work as team member with Mayor, Council, Village Administrator, Police Chief, Fire Chief and other officers to plan and strategically direct the municipality as an executive officer.
• Resolve various complex financial issues while facing pending deadlines.
• The Fiscal Officer must be keenly aware of the financial position of the Village and communicate any issues regarding that position properly and in a timely manner to the Mayor, Council, and all other appropriate offices or others.
• Prepare all monthly, quarterly, and annual reports as required by law and distribute appropriate information to the Mayor, Village Council, and all other appropriate offices or committees.
• Demonstrate ability to maintain appropriate confidentiality in handling sensitive information and records.
• Post all Village financial transactions to the Village’s accounting systems.
• Serve as liaison to accounting system hardware and software vendors.
• Process and deposit funds received by the Village, disburse monies, balance bank statements, and manage funds in depositories as approved by Village Council.
• Prepare financial transactions within the Village Council’s approved budget, including issue of purchase orders, verification and payment of invoices, preparation of
electronic funds transfers, and signing of checks.
• Process payroll including signing payroll checks or authorizing direct deposits, completion of payroll and employment records, financial and tax reports, retirement plans, unemployment and Bureau of Workers’ Compensation data, and any employee benefits.
• Management of State, Federal, and other grant funding sources, to include reporting, disbursement, & application etc.
• Provide information and assistance to representatives from Ohio’s office of the Auditor of State during financial audits.
• Sign contracts involving financial obligations in accordance with the policies adopted by Village Council.
• Prepare annual budget and appropriations documentation in conjunction with the Mayor, Finance Committee, Village Administrator, Police Chief, Fire Chief and create and file all appropriate budget documents with the Ashtabula County Auditor in a timely manner.
• Attend Village Council and Finance Committee meetings, preparing minutes of Council meetings, maintaining an accurate record of all Ordinances and Resolutions passed by
Council and providing notice of meetings and legislation passed to the local newspaper of record.
• Comply with all public records requests and maintain said records per Village Records Retention Policies.
• Provide secure storage for all vital business records including off-site financial records
and legal documents.
• Maintain knowledge of current trends in government accounting by attending workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing networks and participating in professional organizations.
• Associate degree in accounting, public administration, or equivalent experience
• Minimum of 1-4 years of experience in Local Government, Local Government Accounting or progressive experience working in finance so as to indicate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the duties of Fiscal Officer.
• Must qualify to be bonded.
• Notary Public in the State of Ohio, or willing to obtain upon hire
• Knowledge of fund accounting.
• Knowledge of the budgetary process.
• Knowledge of municipal government process.
• Ability to prepare financial reports and analysis.
• Familiarity with Word and Excel software.
• Familiarity with UAN System is preferred but not required.
• Includes but not limited to computers, calculators, copier, and printers.
• Sitting at a desk or other work area, communicating with public either in person, via letter, email or phone, operating office equipment as indicated above. Position may require occasional lifting of up to twenty pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. Travel and overnight lodging may occasionally be required for training.
Most hours worked shall be at the Geneva-on-the-Lake Village Hall between the hours of 9:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, except for evening meetings of Village Council or its committees which are also required of the employee. This position is not intended to be a remote work position.
Initial Salary range will commensurate with experience, qualifications, and skills. Public employee retirement system through State of Ohio. Health insurance availability.
Selection Guidelines: Resume and letter of interest, rating of education and experience, oral interviews, reference check and appropriate background check.
The duties listed above for this position are intended only as guidelines and illustrations of the various types of work that may be required. The omission of specific statements does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The position of Fiscal Officer is an “at will” appointed position, and this job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the position change.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the position
Submit letter of interest and resume electronically to Mayor@GOTLOH.org or Mayor Dwayne M. Bennett Sr., Village Geneva-on-the-Lake, 4929 S Warner Drive, Geneva, Ohio 44041. Open as of February 22, 2023 Letters of interest & resumes will be accepted will be until position is filled .
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com