Website City of Sidney
Livability, growth, revitalization & conservation
Job Description Summary:
The Ranger is responsible for the preservation and development of City neighborhoods through the enforcement of the City’s Ordinances in addition to the safety and enjoyment of City Park facilities by visitors and the protection of natural resources in the city parks. This position enforces city’s laws and regulations governing use of parks.
Minimum of an associate degree in public administration, urban planning, social sciences, law enforcement, recreation management, or other related field; two (2) years of relevant work experience or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Licensure or Certification Requirements:
Must possess and maintain a valid State of Ohio driver’s license and must remain insurable under the City’s vehicle insurance policy; Property Maintenance and Housing Inspector Certification or ability to acquire certification preferred; Ohio Peace Officer Certification; must maintain certification in firearms proficiency; other certifications or licensure requirements as determined by the Park and Recreation Director.
Calculator, computer, computer software (iWorQ, Microsoft Office, data collection software, law enforcement software, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, facility management software, other applicable computer software programs), mobile phone, fax machine, printer, tablet, copier, scanner, telephone, body camera, and other standard modern business office equipment, motor vehicle, metal detector, camera, scale, calculator, measuring wheel, chainsaw, skid steer, power tools, hand tools. (List is not all inclusive.)
Inherently Hazardous or Physically Demanding working conditions:
Works in inclement weather conditions (e.g., snow, sleet, rain, heat, etc.); has exposure to severe weather; has exposure to construction hazards; has exposure to extreme heat and fire; has exposure to life and health threatening situations; works in the vicinity of floor or wall openings, elevated platforms, and/or runways; ascends and/or descends stairs, scaffolds; has contact with potentially violent or emotionally distraught persons; has exposure to potentially vicious animals; has exposure to hazardous driving conditions; routinely required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl on even and uneven surfaces; works in confined spaces; works in an area in which the means of egress can be obstructed; works on and around powered platforms and/or vehicle-mounted platforms; environmental conditions which may result in injury from fumes, odors, dusts, mists, gases, and/or poorly ventilated work areas; exposure to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions; possible injury due to unclean or unsanitary conditions; possible injury due to electrical shock; possible injury due to falling from high places; exposure to shaking objects or surfaces; has exposure to second-hand smoke; walks on uneven terrain; works weekends, holidays, and evenings; is subject to call-outs for emergency situations; exerts up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or 30 pounds of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
Note: In accordance with the U.S. Department of Labor physical demands strength ratings, this is considered heavy work.
In cases of emergency, unpredictable situations, and/or department needs, may be required to lift, push, pull, and/or carry objects heavier than DOL strength ratings recommend.
Essential Functions of the Position:
(1) Inspects properties throughout the City including placing and removing placards and yard signs; performs field inspections in response to citizen complaints, requests from the supervisor or other City employees, or from self-observation; researches ordinances and codes to determine if a violation exists and maintains up-to-date knowledge of new ordinances, laws, and relevant court decisions; maintains data in the City’s record-keeping software, including development of automatic tracking, scheduling, and notifications;.
(2) Provides for the security of City parks, including patrolling, securing, and locking park facilities; performing light maintenance work, such as policing litter, repairing park equipment and tree maintenance.
(3) Enforces laws, regulations, and rules within the park through issuance of warnings and citations and requesting assistance from the Sidney Police Department for the resolution of more serious incidents; testifying and presenting evidence as necessary for effective enforcement.
(4) Prevents and investigates criminal or other inappropriate activity within the City parks and responding to requests for assistance from other emergency services.
(5) Notifies and educates members of the public of City rules and laws applicable in City parks; make presentations to community groups on Parks and Recreation related topics.
(6) assists in the investigation and implementation of operational improvements.
(7) Provides input on the preparation of the annual budget for the Parks and Recreation Group and Code Enforcement; coordinating access and use of reserved pavilions and shelters.
(8) Maintains availability for non-business hour emergencies; wears prescribed uniform and presents a dignified business-like appearance at all times.
(9) Directs City contractor to abate property maintenance violations and/or file complaints with the Prosecutor’s Office and the Municipal Court when voluntary compliance is not obtained.
(10) Maintains a complete record of all violations, including photos, written communications, conversations, etc.; uses Geographic Information System (GIS) to input and analyze data, and create maps, charts, and statistics.
(11) Researches and determines property ownership and prepares all documentation in response to complaints and violations, including writing letters, making telephone calls, or personal contacts to explain violation and code requirements.
(12) Maintains required licensures and certifications, if any; attends meetings and serves on committees as directed; attends training, workshops, and seminars as directed.
(13) Meets all job-safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to essential functions.
(14) Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance.
Other Duties AND Responsibilities:
(15) Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Characteristics: (*indicates developed after employment.)
Knowledge of: City and department goals and objectives;* City and department policies and procedures;* Ohio Basic Building Code and all other applicable codes adopted by the City of Sidney.; City building code and ordinances;* building construction materials and practices; City zoning laws and regulations;* inspection techniques; code enforcement procedures; safety practices and procedures; records preparation and management; office practices and procedures; public relations; English grammar and spelling; computer hardware and software programs, including Microsoft Office, internet applications, and GIS programs, such as ESRI ArcGIS; applicable Federal, State, and local laws and regulations and community resources and services; effective law enforcement policies, procedures, practices, and techniques; Park District policies and procedures; state and local laws and statutes including park rules; local geographical area*; court policies, procedures, and practices; safety practices and procedures
Skill in: operating/utilizing law enforcement equipment; operating/utilizing investigative tools and instruments; operating a motor vehicle; operation and care of firearms; computer operation; use of modern office equipment; preparing clear, concise reports and written materials; research and summarizing statistical data.
Ability to: carry out detailed but basic written or oral instructions; interpret a variety of instructions in written, oral, picture, or schedule form; read, interpret, and communicate orally and in writing the intent of the City;
inspect exterior of a wide variety of structures and properties, at times in adverse weather conditions; review plans and apply provisions of the ordinances and codes to determine compliance with such regulations; deal with problems involving several variables within familiar context; work on several projects or issues simultaneously interpret extensive variety of technical material in books, journals, and manuals; compile and prepare reports; interpret the codes and communicate their intent orally and in writing; define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; detect structural and other faults and recommend their correction; understand, interpret, and apply laws, rules, or regulations to specific situations; respond to routine inquiries from public and/or officials; communicate effectively; understand a variety of written and/or verbal communications; resolve complaints; recognize unusual or threatening conditions and take appropriate action; travel to and gain access to worksite; understand all reporting requirements; write instructions and specifications; testify articulately in court and legal proceedings; flexible hours; maintain records according to established procedures; handle sensitive inquiries from and contacts with officials and general public; perform responsibilities with minimal supervision; work maintenance as directed during slow, or required times; develop and maintain effective working relationships; resolve complaints; work under stressful conditions and maintain composure; travel to and gain access to work site; maintain weapon proficiency; subdue and/or restrain adults and juveniles; maintain physical ability and fitness standards.
Positions Directly Supervised:
This position description in no manner states or implies that these are the only duties and responsibilities to be performed by the position incumbent.
To apply for the position and view a more detailed Job Description, Benefit Summary and Job Application form go to our web site www.sidneyoh.com /Employment or the Receptionist at 201 W. Poplar St. Sidney, OH 45365. Application will be accepted for this position until filled. Mail to 201 W. Poplar St. Sidney OH 45365, Fax: 937 498-8160 or email: Receptionist@SidneyOH.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org