Management Advisory Group: Trusted Advisors to Local Government
Carlisle, Ohio is seeking a highly motivated, well-qualified, and experienced local government leader as its next City Manager. The City is located in northwestern Warren and southern Montgomery counties, conveniently between the Dayton-Cincinnati metropolitan areas. Carlisle is a municipality of approximately 5,500 people with an outstanding school system and diverse commercial and industrial base. Carlisle takes pride in being a safe, family-oriented community with a mix of older homes and newer housing growth.
HISTORY AND BACKGROUND
At the turn of the 18th century, East Coast settlers began migrating west to the Ohio Valley. Many of these early settlers chose an area of land west of the Miami River to call home. This area became known as the “Jersey Settlement,” as many of these early residents were originally from the New Jersey area.
In the mid 18th century, a prominent figure in the railroad community, George B. Carlisle, bought and platted a large section of terrain. He donated one of these parcels of land to be used for the benefit of the entire community. In 1856, a group of local men organized the Literary Society and built the original Town Hall building, which is still used today as the Carlisle Council Chambers. As a result of Mr. Carlisle’s influence on the community, the area was
eventually named “Carlisle.”
From the near-constant presence of trains, calling back to its days as a railroad town, to its roots as a rural, agricultural community, it is evident that Carlisle has a long history, rich in both culture and commerce—a history that we are eager to extend into the twenty-first century.
Today, Carlisle’s attractively priced municipal utilities, quality services, high quality schools, convenience to regional commuting corridors, and mix of affordable and upscale housing makes it a leading choice for new and expanding businesses and as a place to live. Carlisle is unique in balancing a progressive attitude toward economic development, while remaining committed to preserving the small-town charm, rural flavor, and Midwestern friendliness that makes Carlisle such a comfortable place to work and call home.
The City has made strategic investments in land for two prominent business parks that can be adapted to meet the business needs of today, as well as tomorrow. With a major railroad route located in town, Carlisle offers an excellent shipping option to fit the needs of industrial/light industrial
enterprise. The City has experienced success with room for more. Other city-owned sites present additional opportunities for creative economic and/ or recreational development.
The City of Carlisle is a Home Rule Charter City and a Council-Manager form of government. Carlisle City Council is most supportive of the role of its City Manager. They are respectful, appreciative, and supportive of a professional City Manager and staff.
Carlisle’s economic development success, sound fiscal management practices and robust reserves make for a
very stable forecast for the community’s financial future. However, experience and creativity is necessary to ensure
certain long term fiscal stability for those services which
are voter dependent.
The City is proud of the quality services provided by its professional and volunteer staff. The City provides an array of services delivered by a professional staff with a very positive and mutually supportive culture led by the City Manager. The City provides traditional public safety services by a full-time Carlisle Police Department, volunteer Carlisle Fire Department and a joint EMS provided by the Joint Emergency Medical Services (J.E.M.S.) in partnership with the City of Franklin and Franklin Township.
The City provides public works services to include street repair and maintenance, snow removal operations, pavement markings, maintenance of right-of-way, maintenance and upkeep of storm water systems, maintenance and upkeep of city parks, grounds, cemeteries, and facilities.
The City operates and maintains the water distribution and sewer collection systems. Water treatment is provided under contract by the City of Franklin. Sewage treatment is provided via a regional treatment facility owned by the Franklin Regional Wastewater Treatment Plant, which serves the communities of Carlisle, Franklin, and Germantown, as well as other portions of Warren County.
The City also provides for its own planning, zoning, economic development, administrative support services and a Mayor’s Court.
The ideal candidate will:
• Be an excellent and pro-active communicator internally and external to the organization. S/he will be a highly personable individual who is engaging and feels at ease speaking to and interacting with Council, employees, residents, businesses, City’s partners, and groups of all sizes and backgrounds.
• Possess a proven ability to work with and earn the respect and trust of his/her elected leaders, peers, employees, residents, businesses, and partners.
• Possess a safety-first mentality with employees and the community. Will be well versed in public safety operations and emergency management.
• Develop a strong appreciation of the history and traditions of the community while embracing a creative and innovative approach for continued improvement.
• Be a fiscal conservative and an excellent steward of taxpayer dollars while recognizing and creating opportunities to leverage public and private sector partnerships for the betterment of the overall community.
• Possess a successful track record obtaining and implementing grants and intergovernmental funding to advance the City’s infrastructure, utilities, recreation/parks, and other amenities.
• Plan strategically for operational and capital needs.
• Have the economic development acumen and skillset to foster well planned, financially viable and beneficial growth initiatives for the City.
• Be a recognized and respected leader of the various City departments and personnel and bring a balanced management style of fairness and firmness to his/her new position.
• Maintain and continue to improve a positive work climate and continually advance the development and professionalism of staff.
• Be transparent and forthcoming with City Council in expressing ideas and needs.
• Will be customer focused with City residents and businesses and will uphold the City’s standards.
• Will lead always understanding the importance of upholding the City’s reputation for honesty and openness in its governmental actions.
CITY COUNCIL’S ASPRIATIONAL GOALS
In preparation for their new City Manager search, Carlisle City Council set forth a list of aspirational goals. These are provided below to potential candidates to demonstrate the opportunities and challenges for the new City Manager:
• Create a destination opportunity.
• Promote a sense of community by establishing a town square, main street presence, promoting and developing community events, connecting the city with sidewalks and/or shared use paths, and developing a community center/gathering place.
• Continue to improve/grow more services to residents.
• Develop longer term operating and capital plans/projections (3-5 years).
• Leverage existing and innovative tools for increased economic development (retention/expansion/attraction and
• Increase amenities for residents and businesses.
• Ensure long term financial stability of safety services.
• Assess the future of City facilities.
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
A bachelor’s degree in public administration or a related field is preferred.
Thorough knowledge of principles and practices of public administration, finance, planning, police, fire/EMS, public works, recreation, economic development, organization, and human resources is desired. Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills are required.
Five-ten years of progressively responsible managerial experience is preferred.
The City Manager is responsible for the enforcement and execution of the policies, ordinances, and resolutions of City Council and manages the City’s operations for Council as per Article VI of the Charter of the Municipality of Carlisle.
Carlisle is truly an outstanding community and candidates that bring an array of local government management experiences are encouraged to apply for this unique career opportunity.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
This position has a starting salary range of $90,000–$120,000, depending on qualifications. A competitive benefits package will be provided. Residency within the Carlisle City Schools District within six months of appointment is preferred, but may be waived by City Council.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, at least five (5) professional references, and salary history to: firstname.lastname@example.org by March 31, 2023, for first consideration. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For additional information visit the City of Carlisle, Ohio website.
Questions regarding this position may be directed to:
Dana McDaniel, Partner
Management Advisory Group, LLC
614-206-3311 (direct line)
Electronic correspondence only please
Carlisle, Ohio is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com